Sabado, Enero 28, 2012

I'm not Superman but I save lives


Photo courtesy of Blood Bank


Part of my usual morning routine is reading the newspaper everyday but sad to say, that I’ve been reading so many bad news on it lately. It came to a reality that I have asked myself, how do I love back my country despite of what it is happening around? That question has stuck on my mind for so long, so I decided to take a walk and think. It was a gloomy Saturday morning when I reached one of my favorite hangout places, the Washington Sycip Park in Legaspi Village, Makati to unwind and think about life. I found myself sitting on one of its benches and read a famous line of Washington Sycip on it. It says there “Our country can be criticized for so many things, but in the end, we must give back what we can.” After reading that line I thought immensely on how I can love and be proud of my country especially these times that our country needs it most.  While lying on the bench in the park catching a glimpse of the warm blue skies and the heat of the sun, it came to cross on my mind that I became a blood donor late last year for my grandmother’s blood transfusion. And that thought became a perfect answer to the question that has stuck on my mind. It was not easy for me to say yes when I was asked to do it for the first time. My initial reaction was blood donation is painful because of the huge needles that will suck your blood for long minutes and honestly I said to myself that I couldn’t stand that long. But after realizing that the process would help my grandmother who was sick and in need of blood that time, I said yes and even joked by saying, let the blood sucking begin. I did it because of love. The next day, I went to a blood donation activity organized by the Philippine National Redcross and for the second time around I faced my fear and donated my blood.

Sharing your blood means your giving your own life to others. And with this fact, I could say that this is the best way I can love my country. I am not a super hero who can save anyone from harm, solve the economic problems of our state or even provide insufficiencies of our government to our people but I know in my heart that in own little way of sharing my blood, I believed that I can make a difference more than superman could do. My love for my country flows down through my vein that’s why my blood is the greatest expression of love, I can give back to my country. My blood can save and extend the lives of many. I wish that someday that people would realize the importance of blood giving. Blood giving does not only benefit the person receiving the blood but also the donor. Some studies show that it may prevent heart diseases as well as it helps your blood circulation in good condition. But the most important benefit of all would be the feeling of greatness, especially when you understand that one hour of your time and one pint of blood can save so many people.

I would not regret the day; I shared my blood for the very first time. If I did not do it then I would assume that I would never understand the essence of love in my daily living. I love my family as much as I love my country. In these times that our country is being condemned for so many things, I think this is the best time to make our motherland feel that she is loved.
I got these words from an anonymous quote saying that, “ Love is the way, love has always been the way and Love will be forever the way. Love is experienced at many levels. As we grow in awareness and we can see and embrace more, we judge less and love more completely”. My blood is a symbol of my love and I would share it to my country for as long as it’s needed.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento